3 ways to be unpopular when scheduling virtual meetings
Posted On May 1, 2020
How to be unpopular when scheduling virtual meetings?
1. Ignore the impact of time zones
2. Forget to include conference details
3. Don’t start the meeting on time
The growth of telecom and the internet have made virtual meetings possible. COVID-19 times are seeing online meetings taking over face to face meetings. The novel coronavirus affected world has forced us to depend on online meetings. Now many of us are contemplating making it a part of our normal life even after the pandemic recedes.
Emerging economies give lip service to the culture of remote working for publicity. Now they are opening their eyes to a new way of working. Traditional companies are focussing on outcomes than on being present in the office. It’s effective and frees up capital invested in office infrastructure. Even fresh employees are being on-boarded online into the company.
Meetings are a management tool to align towards a common goal and taking stock of progress. Like face to face meetings, even virtual meetings will have similar scheduling challenges. The common meeting scheduling scenarios will be relevant too.
Scheduling online meetings can be challenging when it involves people from different locations. You could end up annoying your colleagues, clients or even friends when you want to catch up with them. Here are 3 ways how you can be unpopular when scheduling virtual meetings:
1. Ignore the impact of time zones: You are in the US and you want to set up a meeting between your team members in the UK and India. Don’t forget the impact of timezones. Propose a time slot that is comfortable for your teammates. You must state your time zone in the meeting request. Your team members can then calculate the time as per their timezone.
Oystro is a meeting scheduler app that shows the meeting time as per the time zone set on the mobile. You don’t need to calculate the meeting time as per your time zone when Oystro is your meeting scheduler.
2. Forget to include conference details: Include the meeting details in your meeting request. Don’t get excited only to know availability. As the meeting time approaches people are eager to connect to the call. If you forget to include the conference details it will lead to a lot of to and fro emails. A conference link, meeting ID and password are keys to the doors of an online meeting room.
3. Don’t start the meeting on time: Start the meeting a couple of minutes before time. It is discourteous to make them view a message that states that the host is yet to start the meeting. If you are always punctual, your apology may seem genuine. No one appreciates delay even if it is genuine. Do you want to mess around?
Everyones hoping the pandemic disappears. It will disappear for sure. But ways to be unpopular won’t vanish in a puff. Make a conscious effort to avoid treading that path.
Photo by visuals on Unsplash